Wednesday 14 November 2007

The Daily Paradox: A Complicated Description of Simplicity

Browsing through internet and reading some blogs, I found a "simple description" about IA and UE. I read it many times trying to match it with my definitions, and couldn't avoid thinking: Isn’t IA and UE all about presenting meaningful information in a friendly and structured way which is easily findable, accessible and understandable for all users?; and if that is what the discipline is really about, shouldn't the "description of it" match the standards of its practice?

This is the "simple description" I read:
"Composition means gathering elements of meaning and emotion from the environment, the audience, and in one’s self, applying what one knows and feels about experience, and then expressing not so much a solution as a creation. the process of composing has rules by which it’s conducted, but the actual composition of a work – including an environment that provokes desired experiences – remains a personal feat and something of a mystery.

The natural next step will be for designers of experience to integrate and apply the methods of scoring and wayshowing concurrently, Thus creating places, not only in the physical world but also in the virtual worlds of knowledge and understanding, that reveal themselves in the same way that a musical composition is heard. This is composing for experience."

by Bob Jacobson

... It's beautifully expressed, but somehow I need to read it and re-read it again to grasp the real essence of it, so the experience of this description (to me) is: I thought I got it, but when I thought about it, I didn't... and I got lost somewhere in the middle of the story, although it had a pretty romantic end

No comments: