Tuesday 27 November 2007

My indifference to brands and branding

Sometimes I wonder, whether my indifference to brands makes me an alien in the advertising and marketing world. Yes I use a Mac, no, I didn’t choose for it. Yes I’ve seen that movie, no, I don’t know the name of the actors. Yes, I like that sweater, no, I don’t know where the brand comes from. Yes, I have one of the latest Nokia phones, no, I don’t know when it came out or if its better than the iPhone. Yes, I like good food, no, I don’t have a favorite restaurant. Yes, I like a lot of music; no I don’t know the name of the band, nor the label. Yes, I know a couple of good designers, a couple of good musicians, a couple of good writers, a couple of good people; no, I don’t really know about the ones in hype. Yes, I care more about what is happening around me and around the ones I love, no, I don’t like watching news, they have biased opinions, show mostly tragedies and pain, create fear and play the world according to the interests of a few (they should be called “The Bad News Channel” Tragedy to your Home). Yes, I believe there is too much advertising going on everywhere, no, I don’t support any anti-advertising campaign. Why? Because by supporting one cause you are supporting the other. It’s inevitable; by talking about anti-advertising, you are talking about advertising. Yes, I could know all what is hot, no, I don’t really want to know who all those glossy people are. Yes, I think some of they look very pretty, no, I don’t think l will look like them by using their creams, but yes, I could look like them if I want to… after all, I’m good with photoshop too.
Now I wonder… have I instinctively become the nightmare of all marketers as I used to be for all religious priests and preachers? I don’t believe in their Gods and therefore, I can’t really be controlled by them. Their sacred images are only representations of what I suspect they hope or fear (which is the same at the end). I guess I haven’t fell in the myth which says that knowing about popular people and brands is “general culture”. But I also guess I’m the only one who thinks of it that way. I am becoming used to see the astonished/disappointed faces of those colleagues of mine who can’t believe when I say: no, I don’t know who you are talking about… But yes, I’d like to hear about that theory.

How can I then be of any use to the advertising world? Well… Por que a mi me importa un pito si el mundo funciona a pilas, con kerex o a gasolina.

No comments: